Sunday, May 3, 2009

Welcome

New Brunswick is relatively small, even by Canadian standards (heck, the whole province has about 100,000 more people than Hamilton, Ontario where I grew up).  Still, the province is richly blessed with culture, relatively unspoiled nature, abundant natural resources, and a wonderful human spirit.

Unfortunately, because we are small, we're exploited.  New Brunswick is usually out of the national spotlight (except during flood season) and our provincial papers are more of a long and glorified advertising leaflet than a source for news and investigative reporting. (Perhaps that's because most of the papers are run by the dominant industrial group - the Irving conglomerate).  What goes on in New Brunswick seems to stay in New Brunswick.  For neo-liberal governments, this is ideal.  They can test-bed their crazy theories and noone hears us complain.

So, I set up this blog as an attempt to bring like-minded critically-thinking people together to discuss the books they are reading.  I am trying to limit the area of discussion to topics of social and environmental justice (as I see it, two sides of the same coin).  I'll start by posting some of my picks.  I encourage you to please send me your own reviews (please send them to robmoirndp@gmail.com) and I will post them too.  Keep the reviews short and personal if you will.  I will keep book titles in the label field so you can search to see if your favourite is being discussed.

Finally, I ask that you forgive me for tapping into Google's advertising feature.  I've included it for now, primarily to see what happens.  If it sells more books, then that's all the better - we get more people thinking, talking, and creating communities that work for everyone.  Please support independent bookstores when possible!


No comments:

Post a Comment